5218 Willing St., Milton, FL 32570

Tel: (850) 384-9754

Child Custody

Child Custody in Florida

Whether you are facing a dissolution of marriage, a modification of a final judgement, paternity or any other custody proceeding, you will want to know [1] how best to protect the best interest of your child or children and [2] how best to safeguard your rights as a parent.  At Collaborative Family Law & Mediation, I take the time to sit with you, explain your options and develop an individual strategy that fits your needs.

Parental Responsibility

Parental Responsibility is probably the first issue you will deal with in any proceeding.  It is the authority to make decisions regarding your child’s healthcare, education, religion and other choice unique to your family.


Time-sharing is the amount of time each parent will spend with your child. In Florida, there is a statutory presumption that it is the best interests of a child to spend time with both parents. How much time is spent with each parent?  Our office will help you determine a time-sharing schedule that is appropriate for your circumstances.

Parenting Plan

Florida Law requires that the issues of parental responsibility and time-sharing be addressed in a written agreement known as a parenting plan.  This parenting plan addressed other issues, including holiday schedules, electronic communication and relocation issues.

Temporary Time-Sharing Modification Due to Military Service

If a parent is activated or temporarily assigned to military service, courts have the option of entering a temporary order that modifies a custody order.  The Court can provide the non-military parent with more time-sharing or may designate a family member of the child to exercise time-sharing on behalf of the military parent.  If you are a member of the United States Armed Forces or your child’s other parent is a service member, we can explain the options available to you.

Temporary Custody of a Minor Child By Extended Family

Florida Law has created a cause of action for temporary custody of a child by an extended family member.  The Court can order a temporary order that enables a family member to do the following: [a] consent to medical, dental and psyshiatric care of a minor child; [b] secure copies of the child’s birth certificate and educational records; and [c] enroll the child in school.  Collaborative Family Law & Mediation will guide you through the process of petitioning for temporary custody.

Child Custody and the Collaborative Family Law Process

Are you interested in a healthier, private process that keeps your personal and financial information out of the public eye and helps everyone in the process.  Learn how the Collaborative Family Law model can be used in child custody cases.